Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A quick take on the Ines Sainz situation

So there's a story getting a pretty good amount of coverage (even--gasp-- not on ESPN!) surrounding a female reporter, Ines Sainz, going into the New York Jets locker room to get an interview and getting treated inappropriately by the Jets players (i.e. receiving catcalls and having a couple footballs thrown her way).  Then, Clinton Portis made a commentary on the situation by saying that if there's 53 naked guys in the locker room and an attractive woman walks in, there's going to be a certain degree of interaction between the two parties.  Naturally, the NFL stepped in and decried Portis' statement, and Portis has since apologized.

To that, I say, why?  Portis hit the nail right on the head; a bunch of guys whose occupation requires harnessing adrenaline and emotion into every minute of their performance should not be expected to be upstanding citizens at all times, ESPECIALLY right before or after they go on the field (this circumstance happened to be after a practice, I believe).  If you are a reporter/model (yes, she is actually a model) going into a room of hormonally jacked-up twenty-somethings looking like this...

(Sainz at the Jets practice facility)

what exactly are you expecting to happen? I mean, come on.  Now, I understand that throwing footballs may not be the best thing for the players to have done, and of course Portis doesn't really have the place to talk about it, but shouldn't she have had slightly lower expectations?  This story screams "attention-monger" to me.  Of course, the Jets are handling the situation as well as could be expected with an absurd story such as this, and I suppose that conduct like this shouldn't run rampant in locker rooms.  But again, she's a model.  Do you really think she doesn't get treated like that every day of the week?  She's just lucky she got this from a big-market team that allows the story to get overblown.

2 comments:

  1. Grrrr. Every woman has the right to not feel harassed, attractive or not. I don't care if these men are amped up on adrenaline...standards of behavior apply to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After writing the post, I decided that I'm not sure I agree with myself so much. I definitely think that we have different standards for professional athletes that I'm not sure are appropriate. I also saw an important point that women are in the locker room all the time without incident, which would seem to indicate that this is more a circumstance where the Jets players acted out of line.

    ReplyDelete